The skilled legal guidance you need. Local attorneys you can trust.

The attorneys of Aldridge & Birdwhistell Law Firm, PSC

What happens when you are hit by an under/uninsured driver in KY?

On Behalf of | Sep 25, 2023 | Personal Injury |

Being involved in a car accident is a stressful experience, and it becomes even more complicated when one driver does not have enough insurance. While Kentucky law mandates that all drivers have insurance, some still drive without it.

Additionally, it is important to note that in Kentucky, more people have less than the required amount of insurance than uninsured motorists. Here is what you need to know.

Coverage you need by law

State regulations mandate that you have a minimum bodily injury liability insurance coverage of $25,000 per person and $50,000 for all individuals injured in an accident. However, if you find yourself injured in an accident caused by a driver with only the minimum coverage, that $25,000 may not be sufficient to cover your medical expenses, replace lost wages and compensate you for pain and suffering.

Underinsured motorist coverage

You have the option to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage can help if an uninsured or underinsured driver hits you. It provides you with financial protection when the at-fault driver lacks adequate or no insurance.

Ensure the safety of everyone

The priority after an accident is safety. Check yourself and your passengers for injuries, and if possible, move your vehicle to a safe location, away from traffic. Turn on your hazard lights and, if necessary, call 911 for medical assistance.

Gather information

Regardless of the other driver’s insurance status, collecting essential information at the scene is necessary. This includes:

  • Name, co tact information, and driver’s license number
  • Vehicle information
  • Photos of the accident scene and damage
  • Names and contact details of witnesses

This can help with filing a claim.

Contact the police and notify your insurance company

Even if the accident appears minor, contact the police and file an accident report. A police report can serve as documentation later, especially when dealing with an under or uninsured motorist.

To protect yourself, you should carry uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage on your policy and contact an attorney if you suffer from an injury in an accident. This coverage can be a lifeline in these situations, providing the financial support you need to recover. Remember, you have resources and options to help navigate this challenging situation and move toward a fair resolution.